Copyright © Astronomy Roadshow Planetarium All rights Reserved
Monday - Friday: 9am-5.00pm
Call us AT:
Mission Patches are designed mostly by Astronauts themselves. NASA developed a few informal rules for each design. Other countries such as Russia & China now have the same rules.
1) Any shape you wish
2) Any colours you wish
3) Roughly 12 - 18 cm across and in height
4) Main image should reflect the mission profile or name of the rocket
5) Crew members names around the edge - surnames only (if required)
6) Commander's name normally centred on the bottom or top
7) Flags (if included) represent Astronauts' nationalities and should all be the same size for equal representation.
The first space patch designed and worn in space was by Valentina Tereshkova in 1963. She began this tradition.
If you wish to purchase a real space patch; use this link...